ARK's Grabber® Original Oral Motor Chew
Smooth Oral Motor Chew Tool
Invented by Debra C. Lowsky, MS, CCC-SLP, ARK's Grabber® is the original and still most popular oral motor chew tool. The innovative P shape design features an easy-to-hold loop, with a long extension for reaching the back molars.
- As an oral fidget for sensory seekers craving stimulation and proprioceptive input
- As a safe alternative to chewing on hands, knuckles, shirts, pencils, etc.
- As an alternative to tooth-grinding and/or thumb-sucking
- To help decrease oral defensiveness and food aversions
- To practice biting/chewing without the risk of choking
- To work on jaw strength and stability and oral motor skills
- To build oral strength, mobility, and control
- To satisfy the urge to chew for individuals who are fed through a g-tube
Available in 6 different colours (colour defines strength)
- Magenta, Standard (Most Popular)
- Red, Standard
- Lime Green, XT - Medium (Most Popular)
- Teal, XT - Medium
- Royal Blue, XXT - Toughest (Most Popular)
- Forest Green, XXT - Toughest
ARK Grabber® comes in 3 colour-coded toughness levels:
- Standard (Red or Magenta) - These are the softest ones with the most “squishiness” and “give” to them. Recommended for mild chewers and/or beginners practising biting/chewing skills
- Medium Firm / XT (Lime Green or Teal) - XT stands for "Xtra Tough," recommended for moderate chewing. These are firmer, but still chewy.
- Very Firm / XXT (Royal Blue or Forest Green) - XXT stands for "Xtra Xtra Tough," recommended for more avid chewing. These are the most firm and provide the most resistance to the jaw. No chew tool is indestructible, but these are very tough.
ARK manufactures the Grabber® in the USA. It's medical grade, FDA compliant, and contains NO lead, phthalates, PVC, BPA, or latex. Measures approximately 13 cm lengthwise, just under 5 cm across the loop, and half an inch thick.
All materials and colours are FDA approved.
Caution: although these chew tools are sturdy and durable, no chew tool is indestructible. Some individuals (particularly those with heavy oral needs and aggressive biting/chewing) may be able to damage the tools. How long each tool lasts depends on the oral sensory needs of the child, whether or not they are seeing an occupational therapist if needed, as well as many other variables in his/her life. Please supervise at all times and replace if necessary when the item shows signs of wear and tear. For tougher versions of the Grabber, check out the Grabber XT and XXT. For the toughest chew tool overall, see ARK's Y-Chew XXT.